Almaric's Tale

115 posts / 0 new
Last post
SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Tower

After lunch, Almaric repacks his bag and decides to investigate the clearing around the tower before moving on.

Furtively, Almaric moves through the trees that surround the tower. There is very little undergrowth among the trees and he finds himself darting from tree to tree. As he reaches the opposite side of the tower from the path, he can see three open graves marked with crude head-stones. There is writing on the headstones and he can make out names and dates – dates that are not so old. It appears that a few soldiers died here while clearing out the forest brigands just a few years past. The sound of a snapping twig alerts him just in time. Turning around, Almaric sees three zombies only ten feet away. All three are dressed in ragged military uniforms. They attack!

[/OOC No surprise on either part, Zombies automatically go last in a round. Initiatives for Round 1: Almaric (Auto)=20, Zombie #1 (Auto)=0, Zombie #2 (Auto)=0 and Zombie #3 (Auto)=0]

Quickly readying himself, Almaric darts forward to hack into the rotting flesh of the first Zombie, his sword a blur as it arcs towards the creatures torso...

[/OOC Almaric attacks Zombie #1. Needs an 8+, rolls (17)-**(Zombie AC)=HIT
Damage from long sword, (3)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=6 HP. KILLSHOT]

The blade slashes a ragged hole through its chest cavity and had the foul thing any guts left, they would be spooling about its feet as it collapses in a ruined heap. Continuing his attack manoeuvre, Almaric spins towards the two remaining fiends and attempts to dispatch another...

[/OOC Almaric takes a 5' step and makes a CLEAVE attack against Zombie #2. Almaric needs an 8+, he rolls (6)-**(Zombie AC)=MISS]

However, this time his sword tip whistles inches past its mark and the Zombies close their shuffling ranks on him.

[/OOC Zombies #2 and #3 both attack Almaric. Zombie #2 rolls (4)-Almaric's AC(7)=-3. MISS
Zombie #3 rolls (7)-Almaric's AC(7)=0. MISS]

Neither of them manage to land a blow with their dirt-encrusted clawed fingernails and they continue their slow menacing movements around him.

[/OOC: Almaric is currently engaged in combat with 2 uninjured Zombies. He has automatically won the initiative for the next round. Almaric currently has 7 out of 9 HP remaining. He has a *MIGHT* and a *LUCK* bonus available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting the Zombies, round 2

[/OOC As before, the Zombies automatically go last in a round. Initiatives for Round 2: Almaric (Auto)=20, Zombie #2 (Auto)=0 and Zombie #3 (Auto)=0.]

With his shield in front of him, Almaric drives his sword at the closest Zombie.

[/OOC Almaric attacks Zombie #2. He needs an 8+ and rolls (18)-**(Zombie AC)=HIT
Damage from sword (4)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod(1)=7 HP]

The sword passes straight through the torso of the undead fiend, clearly almost ripping it apart but it is obviously not yet ready to return to the great beyond.

Even as it swings a roundhouse claw at the young warrior, its brother-in-arms sets up an overhead swipe of its own...

[/OOC Zombie #2 and Zombie #3 both attack Almaric.
Zombie #2 rolls (5)-Almaric's AC(7)=-2. MISS
Zombie #3 rolls (7)-Almaric's AC(7)=0. MISS]

And once more, the fighter's defence proves too strong for them.

[/OOC: Almaric is currently engaged in combat with 2 Zombies, one of which looks to be severely injured. He has automatically won the initiative for the next round. Almaric currently has 7 out of 9 HP remaining. He has a *MIGHT* and a *LUCK* bonus available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting the Zombies, round 3

[/OOC As before, the Zombies automatically go last in a round. Initiatives for Round 3: Almaric (Auto)=20, Zombie #2 (Auto)=0 and Zombie #3 (Auto)=0]

Offering a silent prayer up to the Gods, Almaric attempts to finish off the 'wounded' Zombie with another sword blow, this time an over-arm, shoulder to hip slash...

[/OOC Almaric attacks Zombie #2. He needs an 8+ and rolls (12)-**(Zombie AC)=HIT
Damage from sword (2)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod(1)=5 HP. KILLSHOT]

...which rends the shambling monstrosity almost in half. Turning slightly, Almaric arches backwards as he deftly converts the returning motion into an attack against the last creature...

[/OOC Almaric attempts a CLEAVE attack against Zombie #3. He needs an 8+ and rolls (19)-**(Zombie AC)=HIT
Damage from sword (3)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod(1)=6 HP]

The remaining Zombie is caught with a vicious backhanded blow that removes an arm at the bicep and rocks it back a step.

But still the lifeless horror advances, taking a staggering step forward and clawing desperately at the young hero.

[/OOC Zombie #3 attacks Almaric. Zombie #3 rolls (1)-Almaric's AC(7)=-6. MISS]

Almaric easily evades the undead's clumsy attack and turns to face the slack-jawed face of his foe.

[/OOC Again, I have enough rolls to continue the combat and since the Zombie autmatically goes last, Almaric acts first in Round 4.]

Knowing that the thing he faces is mindless, there is no point in using subtle feints and fakes. Instead Almaric opts to continue using the technique that has served him well so far and attempts to simply hack the creature to pieces. Planting his feet, Almaric brings his sword down towards the creature's head...

[/OOC Almaric attacks Zombie #3. He needs an 8+ and rolls (15)-**(Zombie AC)=HIT.
Damage from sword (6)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=9 HP. MAX-DAMAGE KILLSHOT]

And catches a face-full of blood and brain matter as the zombie's head is obliterated in a spray of gore accompanied by a loud crunching squelch. The body manages one final stuttering step forward before news of its demise reaches its limbs and it crumples to the ground at Almaric's feet. The severed arm twitches once and then ceases moving, its fingers locked like a crawling death crab.

Even as the last zombie sinks to the ground, Almaric's attention is drawn back to the tower and graveyard. There is no movement within the tower. He can clearly see that the zombies emerged from their graves within the last few days and the earth is still fresh. The sounds of the woodlands carry on as if nothing had happened.

[/OOC: Almaric currently has 7 out of 9 HP remaining. He has a *MIGHT* and a *LUCK* bonus available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting the Zombies (aftermath)

Pitying the poor souls of the dead-again soldiers, Almaric collects the remains and lays them next to the graves. Looking in the graves he can see simple pine coffins. Some dirt has fallen inside. It is clear the zombies did not claw their way out. Someone obviously dug up the coffins as there is a pile of dirt stacked next to each grave. A wooden shovel lies next to the tower. The coffins are empty.

Taking umbrage at the desecration of the fallen soldiers who obviously died doing their duty, Almaric begins to examine the bodies in an attempt to identify which body belongs under which headstone. Fortunately each of the soldiers has a form of tarnished insignia and name-tag and their names (Shennan, Rhann and Crydor) prove easy to match to the simple grave markers. Almaric drags them back in to their respective coffins and in Crydor's case, reunites him with his arm - although there is nothing really left above his neck. After an hour he has again interned the soldiers, this time adding a layer of stones from the fallen parts of the tower to protect against scavengers. As he sets the shovel down after saying a prayer for the dead, a blustery wind comes out of the north. Staring in disbelief, Almaric watches three amorphous images appear next to the freshly covered graves. The transparent figures resemble the soldiers, but they are younger and full of life. One of them steps forward and he hears his words but knows he has not made a sound.

“We are in your debt young hero. You have honourably returned our bodies to the grave and we will repay your selfless act. Call out our names, either one or all, and you will be aided.”

The soldier finishes and all three figures fade as the wind again dies to a soft breeze.

After standing in stunned silence for a few moments, Almaric nods a final time to the graves and collects his things. Turning his back on the tower and the three graves, he heads back along the path to the junction and this time takes the southern trail.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Following the path is not difficult in this section of the wood. The trees are large and very little undergrowth is present. The path, once well-travelled, is worn clearly into the forest floor. Just ahead the path splits and Almaric will have to make a decision.

[/OOC: Almaric currently has 7 out of 9 HP remaining. He has a *MIGHT* and a *LUCK* bonus available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Lake

[/OOC You estimate it to be sometime in the mid-afternoon.]

The forest gives way to a sandy beach. A small lake is formed by the cold water stream that flows from the north-east. To the south the lake continues again. The beach is mostly sand but a fine layer of gravel is mixed in near the water's edge. The lake appears wide but fairly shallow as several large boulders break the surface. A grove of tall reeds grow in the lake on the north side of the beach. What appears to be the remains of a canoe are partially concealed by the reeds where it lies near the shore.

With his sword drawn but eschewing the use of his shield for the time being, Almaric moves to investigate the canoe - all the while expecting some vicious water creature to leap out at him.

His misgivings prove to be only half right, for as Almaric moves toward the canoe, not one but two large frogs leap from their concealed hiding spots in the reeds. The frogs are as large as a cat. Disturbingly, the frogs have fanged mouths and clawed forearms. They attack.

[/OOC Neither side is surprised. Round 1 initiative is: Almaric (6+1)=7, Frog #1 (19) and Frog #2 (8)]

With a loud cacophony of croaks, the two amphibians launch themselves at Almaric, attacking in a flurry of claws and bites...

[/OOC Frog #1 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (14)-Almaric's AC(5)=9. HIT
Damage is 2 HP.
Claw 2, rolls (10)-Almaric's AC(5)=5. MISS
Bite, rolls (4)-Almaric's AC(5)=-1. MISS
Frog #2 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (11)-Almaric's AC(5)=6. MISS
Claw 2, rolls (10)-Almaric's AC(5)=5. MISS
Bite, rolls (18)-Almaric's AC(5)=13. HIT
Damage is 2 HP.
Almaric's HP are down to 3 out of 9.]

Frantically fending off the frog's furious onslaught leaves Almaric bloodied and wishing he had brought his trusty shield along after all. Shaking off the momentary lapse in concentration, he switches into attack stance and slashes out at his first attacker...

[/OOC Almaric attacks Frog #1. He needs an 8+ and rolls (8)-**(Frog AC)=MISS]

Only to see his foe hop over his powerful swing. Things are not looking good for our young hero...

GM NOTE: Is it finally time for our Almaric to croak? /Barrump-ching!

[/OOC: Almaric is currently engaged in combat with 2 uninjured frogs. He has 3 out of 9 HP remaining. He has a *MIGHT* and a *LUCK* bonus available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting Frogs at the Lake

Knowing that he's badly hurt, Almaric attempts a strategic withdrawal towards his pack and the added safety of his shield. His hope is that the frogs won't venture too far from the water.

[/OOC Round 2 initiative is: Almaric (7+1)=8, Frog #1 (9) and Frog #2 (18)]

Before he can make any headway back to dry land, both the frogs again launch frenzied attacks...

[/OOC Frog #2 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (5)-Almaric's AC(5)=0. MISS
Claw 2, rolls (7)-Almaric's AC(5)=2. MISS
Bite, rolls (17)-Almaric's AC(5)=12. HIT
Damage is 2 HP.
Frog #1 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (9)-Almaric's AC(5)=4. MISS
Claw 2, rolls (2)-Almaric's AC(5)=-3. MISS
Bite, rolls (4)-Almaric's AC(5)=-1. MISS
Almaric's HP are down to 1 out of 9.]

Almaric's vision blurs as he feels his lifeblood seeping into the lake's chill waters. Managing to take a few unsteady steps backwards through the shin-deep water, he almost loses his footing but manages to get his feet under him in time. Wobbling, he staggers to where his pack lies on the shore.

[/OOC Almaric attempted to make a FIGHTING WITHDRAWAL but because he lost the initiative he was unable to move before the frog's attack and therefore had no chance to make his retaliation attack.]

Almaric glances down to where his shield lies propped against his backpack. Flicking his gaze back to the frogs, he prays he will get the chance to use it...

[/OOC: Almaric is currently in combat with 2 uninjured frogs but is unengaged and 15' away. He has only 1 out of 9 HP remaining. He has a *MIGHT* and a *LUCK* bonus available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Death at the Lake

[/OOC Almaric will be using DEFENSIVE FIGHTING this round (HOUSE RULE: automatic loss of initiative, +2 AC, -4 to hit)
Round 3 initiative is: Almaric (Fighting defensively)=0, Frog #1 (15) and Frog #2 (14)]

Although Almaric is back on dry land, he may still be out of his depth. He knows that he can't take another hit. Perhaps the frogs know this also as they bound towards him, each hop heralded by a loud, sinister croak.

[/OOC Frog #1 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (15)-Almaric's AC(5)-Defensive Fighting(2)=8. MISS
Claw 2, rolls (9)-Almaric's AC(5)-Defensive Fighting(2)=2. MISS
Bite, rolls (2)-Almaric's AC(5)-Defensive Fighting(2)=-5. MISS
Frog #2 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (14)-Almaric's AC(5)-Defensive Fighting(2)=7. MISS
Claw 2, rolls (15)-Almaric's AC(5)-Defensive Fighting(2)=8. MISS
Bite, rolls (9)-Almaric's AC(5)-Defensive Fighting(2)=2. MISS]

Panting heavily, Almaric manages to survive the vicious onslaught of the slimy creatures. Flicking sweat-slicked hair from his brow, he reaches down and snatches up his shield in a practised motion that slides it on his arm and brings it up to guard his body. As his hand tightens around its grip, his knuckles white almost as if trying to wring some extra measure of strength to aid him, he again swings at his accursed attackers...

[/OOC Almaric automatically lost the initiative so he was unable to move before the frogs re-engaged him, therefore he must remain in combat this round.
Almaric attacks Frog #1. Needs an 8+, rolls (13)-Defensive Fighting(4)-**(Frog AC)=MISS]

The frog hops away from his strike, and Almaric finds himself momentarily overextended.

[/OOC I have enough rolls left to continue the fight and I will assume that Almaric continues to fight defensively since he needs all the AC he can get.
Round 4 initiatives: Almaric (Fighting defensively)=0, Frog #1 (1) and Frog #2 (12)]

This is it. Even as Almaric tries to catch his breath, the frogs attack yet again...

[/OOC Frog #2 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (5)-Almaric's AC(7)-Defensive Fighting(2)=-4. MISS
Claw 2, rolls (16)-Almaric's AC(7)-Defensive Fighting(2)=7. MISS
Bite, rolls (12)-Almaric's AC(7)-Defensive Fighting(2)=3. MISS
Frog #1 attacks 3 times - twice with claws and once with a bite.
Claw 1, rolls (19)-Almaric's AC(7)-Defensive Fighting(2)=10. HIT!!!
Almaric uses the HOUSE RULE:'Shields shall be splintered' - NO DAMAGE
Claw 2, rolls (7)-Almaric's AC(7)-Defensive Fighting(2)=-2. MISS
Bite, rolls (17)-Almaric's AC(7)-Defensive Fighting(2)=8. MISS

/HOUSE RULE: 'Shields shall be splintered': Any time a PC is about to take damage and has a shield equipped, he may choose to sacrifice the shield in order to avoid incurring the wound. The shield is sundered by the blow and destroyed, but the PC takes no damage. In the case of spells that allow a saving throw for half damage, this rule may be invoked if the save against the spell is failed. Doing so successfully reduces the damage by half. If the saving throw is successful, the shield can be sacrificed to avoid taking the half-damage. In the case of magical shields, invoking this rule means that the PC takes no damage from the blow but the shield loses one "plus" from its enchantment.]

This time the blistering attacks rip his freshly equipped shield from his arm and with a feeling of dismay, Almaric shakes the splintered ruin free and grips his longsword two-handed. At least he thinks he now has the measure of the creatures he faces.

[/OOC From the combat results, Almaric can deduce that the frogs will hit him on a 9+]

Bracing his feet, he launches a vicious downward sword blow - arcing from high right to low left...

[/OOC Again Almaric automatically lost the initiative and is unable to move because he is engaged in combat with a frog, therefore he must remain in combat this round.
Almaric attacks Frog #1. Needs an 8+, rolls (20)-Defensive Fighting(4)-**(Frog AC)=CRITICAL HIT!
Damage from double-handed longsword is MAX(8)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=11. KILLSHOT!]

The blade bites deep, leaving a gushing wound. The frog is bludgeoned into the soft sand from the impact and dies instantly. Without shifting position, Almaric continues the blade's arc back up and then brings it back down in another slash, this time from upper left to lower right...

[/OOC Almaric attempts to CLEAVE the second frog. He needs an 8+, rolls (20)-Defensive Fighting(4)-**(Frog AC)=CRITICAL HIT!
Damage from double-handed longsword is MAX(8)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=11. DOUBLE-KILLSHOT!!]

The flashing arc terminates directly across the frog’s back with a crunch that ends it's life mid-croak.

Finally, Almaric takes a stumbling step backwards and drops to one knee, gasping for breath and bleeding heavily. But at least he yet lives.

[/OOC: You have lost your shield. Almaric has only 1 out of 9 HP remaining. He has a *MIGHT* and a *LUCK* bonus available for use at any time. I need you to give me 2 extra rolls next time - a d11 and a d10 for two new Bonus Cards.]

/GM NOTE: Back-to-back natural 20s - you double-jammy bastige! Grrr...

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Lake (aftermath)

[/OOC You have gained two new Bonus Cards - *Finesse* (+1 to hit) and *Automatic Success* (succeed on any STR or CON check OR gain +5% bonus XP)]

Gathering his things together, Almaric moves away from the water's edge, back towards the pathway. Squatting down he begins to carefully clean and dress his painful wounds.

[/OOC First Aid [1d4 rolled for a total of: 4 (4)]. Almaric heals himself for 4 HP]

Having done the best that he can, Almaric knows that he is still in no shape to continue on today so he decides to return to the Travelling Man to rest for the remainder of the day and resume his hunt again once he is fully healed.

Moving cautiously, alert to any possible danger, Almaric retraces his tracks back west to the crossroads. From there he strikes out north and just before reaching the junction of the tower/clearing paths, he is forced to hide in the undergrowth as he catches sight of a huge, lone, ugly human walking towards him. Trying his hardest to control his breathing and remain hidden, Almaric is alarmed to see the creature in better detail as it passes within feet of where he lies hidden. An ogre!

Almaric waits a good few minutes after the brute has gone, just to make sure before breaking cover and once again heading back to the inn.

Reaching the junction, Almaric turns east and continues on to the clearing where the rest of his gear is hidden. It is late afternoon now and the sky is beginning to don its evening wear although there is still light enough for him to hunt out his belongings, check and then collect them. After adjusting the straps on his packs, he continues on the last leg of his journey, albeit somewhat burdened.

The path north out of the clearing eventually leads him back to the safety of the road and as the sun is dipping below the horizon he heads towards it and the haven that is the Travelling Man. Just as the welcome sight of the structure peeps into view, Almaric's pace is accelerated by the sound of wolves calling somewhere deep in the woods to the south. Moments later he is through the door and into the soft glow of lamplight and the warmth of a welcoming fire and Hugo's hospitality.

As a frothy mug of ale and a steaming bowl of stew are placed in front of him, Almaric is urged by Hugo to tell of his search for the bandits as Kel helps out behind the bar. The tale goes on into the late evening and by the end of it, Almaric has the attention of both Hugo and Kel along with the small handful of tavern patrons. Eventually, he is done and feeling every mile he has walked and every blow that has landed, Almaric begs off any more tales and heads to his room - which, true to his word, Hugo has kept ready for him.

Falling into the bed, which feels so much softer and comforting than he remembered it to be, Almaric's last thoughts are of what has occurred and what might yet transpire in his hunt for the bandits...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[/OOC: Almaric has 5 out of 9 HP remaining. He has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time. I would suggest that you use the Automatic Success bonus now to claim the +5%XP bonus as you rest up overnight. It will take a FULL day of rest to get any additional HP back without some form of medicinal/healing aid (Healing Salve/Poultice). Drop off/restock any gear from the chest in the room and recalculate your equipment list and encumbrance.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Travelling Man

Next morning, Almaric takes stock of his belongings and cleans them up before packing some away in the chest in his room. Using the knowledge he gained from his time spent adventuring with his parents, he studies the silver emerald necklace whilst cleaning it. He thinks it is most likely worth something in the mid two hundred gold range but understands that he is unlikely to see it fetch anything like that amount. A realistic figure would be between a hundred and twenty five to a hundred and seventy five. Still, it's all money he didn't have and it all goes towards his expenses.

/RULES
ADVENTURING PROFICIENCY
The character is well-equipped for a life of adventure. He knows how to clean and sharpen weapons, saddle and ride a horse, set up a camp, and search for a secret door. He has a rough idea of the value of common coins, trade goods, gems, and jewellery. All player characters are assumed to have Adventuring for purposes of the proficiency throws of standard adventuring tasks.

After breakfast, Almaric gives Hugo five gold coins for the hospitality he's already enjoyed and toward the next couple of days. Hugo tries to argue that the money is not necessary since he had agreed that it was part of his side of the bargain to aid Almaric in his hunt for the bandits. However after a few bouts of good-natured banter, he eventually relents and reluctantly takes the coins.

Thinking it would be foolhardy to go into the wilds with injuries, Almaric decides not to go out again until he is rested and properly equipped. To that end he also asks Hugo if there is anywhere nearby he could get a new shield and possibly some salves or poultices, offering the necklace as payment. Hugo thinks for a moment and then taking the necklace, he heads off looking for Kel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that day, Hugo knocks on Almaric's door and presents him with a replacement shield. He says that one of the other guests is a merchant and he bought the shield from one of his guards. He also informs Almaric that there are currently no healing supplies available but he is expecting a travelling apothecary either tomorrow or the day after. He will buy what he can up to the limits of the necklace's worth and return any surplus funds.

Having cleaned and redressed his wounds, Almaric spends another restful night in his room and by the next day his wounds are fully healed.

[/OOC: Add the shield to your inventory while removing the necklace. You have also gained 1,015 XP (bonuses included). Almaric is now fully healed. He has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - A New Day, A New Beginning

First thing in the morning, Almaric has breakfast, readies himself and leaves the inn with a determined look on his face.

Heading east along the road to the site of his original ambush, he then strikes off south and shortly arrives at the clearing where he recovered some of his possessions. Looking around at the clearing and the pathways out of it, Almaric decides that he really should investigate the eastern path more thoroughly before progressing further south. However, he is all too aware that there was an Ogre in the general area last time he was here. He will need to be wary, even though he has previously explored some of these trails.

Once again he takes the eastern path out of the clearing.

The trail here is overgrown and very hard to follow, however the happy gurgle of rushing water again alerts Almaric to the presence of the stream even before he has cleared the undergrowth. The quickly running water is only about ten feet wide and he recalls that it was fairly shallow - the stream bed filled with gravel and small stretches of sand. Larger rocks and trees have created pools up and down the stream. The water runs off to the south and the path continues on the opposite side of the stream.

With no ready alternative available, Almaric carefully wades through the chilly water and resumes his travels along the pathway.

Not long after crossing the stream, Almaric notices that the path is slowly descending into a lower area of the woods. The ground is growing soft and the trees are beginning to thin. Marsh grass and tall reeds are getting thick. Ahead he sees the path disappear into a swamp-like area several hundred feet wide and deep. The land all around the swamp rises back into the forest. The swamp sits in a low depression. In the centre of the swamp, Almaric can see a mound made of mud and tree branches. There do not appear to be any other paths leading out of the swamp.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Swamp

Crossing into a swamp by himself to investigate a mound seems like a foolhardy decision, so Almaric backtracks west to the clearing.

Whilst listening for the sounds of movement and ready to take cover, he makes his way westward across the clearing towards the area where the tower and graves were. At the junction where he saw the Ogre, Almaric turns south and heads down to the next crossways and then swings east to the place where the frogs almost claimed his life.

Once there, and keeping his shield readied (for he has learned from his mistakes), Almaric finishes his investigation of the canoe - he finds nothing of interest, the canoe is damaged beyond repair.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Lake (again)

Almaric decides to walk south along the beach to see if there is anything else of note.

Not far down the shoreline he can see that the woodlands begin to encroach right up to the edge of the lake. The lake appears to stretch away farther south than he is able to see beyond the jutting tree-line, however judging by the way the far lake-shore curves around, it looks as though the lake narrows to a point and flows off elsewhere out of sight to the south west.

The dense woodland to the south makes further progress along the shoreline impossible.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale

Returning to the crosspaths west of the lake, Almaric continues along the western trail.

Following the path is not difficult in this section of the wood. The trees are large and very little undergrowth is present. The path, once well-travelled, is worn clearly into the forest floor. Just ahead the path splits and Almaric will have to make a decision as to which of the cardinal points he will pursue.

After a slight pause, Almaric continues west.

The trail loops around, following a broad-sweeping arc to the south.

Presently, Almaric begins to feel a slight downward slope to the path as he moves deeper into the wood. Through the trees he catches glimpses of a lake directly ahead. The path eventually ends at a narrow gravel shoreline. A canoe is beached on the shore and a pair of paddles lie inside. The lake looks to be fairly shallow as Almaric can clearly see boulders penetrating the surface at various locations. However, the entire scene is dominated by a wall of green fog that stretches from the east to the west, as far as he is able to see, bisecting the lake. The fog is impenetrable and reaches at least twenty feet above the surface of the lake.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Canoe

Almaric checks the canoe and immediate area for signs of recent activity.

Although not a sailor, he has used small boats before and so he can tell that the craft appears sound enough and judging by its current condition has seen regular use but not recently. However, it is unlikely that the bandits used the canoe to transport a horse anywhere and not trusting a sinister-looking, green fog wall, Almaric decides to return the way he came and check out the northern path instead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trees thin ahead and Almaric can see a clearing. As he approaches he can see a very strange wingless bird devouring the carcass of a small deer. The bird is nearly seven feet tall and has talons on its powerful legs and a very large, bloodied beak. He can see a path on the opposite side of the clearing.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Big Bird

Since the bird is preoccupied with its kill, Almaric puts his sword and shield within arms reach and readies his bow.

Taking careful aim, he fires at the bird which is roughly thirty feet away...

[/OOC The bird is distracted so a modifier of +2 is applied to the surprise roll. Almaric needs a 1 to 4 on a d6, rolls (4). SURPRISE!
He fires an arrow (short range, no modifier) and needs a 9+. He rolls (8)+Surprise mod.(2)-**(Bird AC)=MISS]

His shot whistles past the giant bird's body, a very close miss.

The bird is surprised by the sudden attack. Clearly, it must be one of the top predators in the area and it certainly was not prepared for an attack. Almaric seizes the opportunity to fire again...

[/OOC Again, Almaric fires an arrow (short range, no modifier) and needs a 9+. This time he rolls (12)-**(Bird AC)=HIT
Damage from arrow, (1)+DEX mod.(1)+Fighter mod.(1)=3 HP]

This time the arrow finds its mark and the bird squawks in pain.

[/OOC Time for initiative. Round 1: Almaric rolls (2+1)=3, the Bird gets (1)]

As soon as the second arrow is released, Almaric drops his bow, takes up his sword and shield and moves up to the bird. He swings his blade at the creature's long neck since its head is a foot higher than his own...

[/OOC Almaric attacks the bird using his longsword. He needs an 8+, he rolls (19)-**(Bird AC)=HIT
Damage from sword is (1)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=4 HP]

The blade connects and leaves a deep slash that begins bleeding heavily. The bird is enraged and launches its own attack at Almaric, who finds himself having to defend against a flurry of claws and its large, wicked-looking beak.

[/OOC The Bird attacks Almaric 3 times, twice with its claws and once with its beak.
Claw #1. Rolled (2)-Almaric's AC(7)=-5. MISS
Claw #2. Rolled (18)-Almaric's AC(7)=11. HIT
Damage from claw, (1) HP.
Beak attack. Rolled (8)-Almaric's AC(7)=1. MISS]

Almaric manages to deflect all but one blow and takes a minor graze to the back of his sword hand.

The angry bird and the young warrior circle each other.

[/OOC: The bird looks badly injured. Almaric has lost 1 of his 9 HP and he still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Big Bird, Round 2

Almaric decides to press the attack.

[/OOC Initiatives for Round 2: Almaric rolls (16+1)=17, Bird (20)]

However, before he can make a move, Almaric finds himself yet again buffeted by the large bird's furious attacks...

[/OOC The Bird attacks Almaric 3 times, twice with its claws and once with its beak.
Claw #1. Rolled (13)-Almaric's AC(7)=8. HIT
Damage from claw, (3) HP.
Claw #2. Rolled (3)-Almaric's AC(7)=-4. MISS
Beak attack. Rolled (10)-Almaric's AC(7)=3. MISS]

As before, Almaric manages to avoid all but one blow and suffers a claw strike to his leg.

Favouring his uninjured leg, Almaric tries to finish the creature with a swift strike to its body.

[/OOC Almaric attacks with his sword. He needs an 8+ and rolls, (7)-**(Bird AC)=MISS]

The big bird moves with surprising speed and easily avoids his blow.

Almaric and the angry avian eye each other up - they are both badly injured and neither is prepared to surrender.

[/OOC Continuing the fight to Round 3, the initiatives are: Almaric (20+1)=21, Bird (20)]

Both opponents fly at each other (one of them literally) but Almaric reacts a fraction faster and his longsword flashes forwards...

[/OOC Almaric attacks the bird with his sword. He needs an 8+ and rolls, (13)-**(Bird AC)=HIT
Damage from sword is (1)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=4 HP. KILLSHOT]

And stabs clean through the onrushing bird's feathery chest. With one last surprised 'Pa-kwark!', the large avian sprawls into the dirt at Almaric's feet.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he has lost 4 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time. Roll a bonus d10 for me next round please.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Big Bird (aftermath)

[/OOC You didn't give me a d10 roll from last turn so I did one for you. You got a (2), which nets you the *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonus card (again) - succeed at any STR or CON check OR gain 5% Bonus XP.]

After cleaning his sword, Almaric takes some time to administer to his wounds. This leaves him feeling slightly better but still far from fully fighting-fit.

[/OOC Almaric uses First Aid on himself. He regains (1) HP]

Next, he turns his attention to the dead bird and the deer carcass. Almaric spends a short while searching for a nest for this strange bird but fails to find anything. Before moving on, he drags the bird into the clearing's edge, but leaves the deer carcass where it lies.

He then proceeds through the clearing and continues west along the winding path.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The meandering path stops as it passes beneath two massive pine trees. A circle of giant pines enclose a small area dominated by a flat stone altar. The altar is supported by two short, stone columns. No writing or inscriptions are evident, although a thick layer of pine needles covers the altar and obscures its surface.

[/OOC: You have gained: *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonus card. You have lost/used: 1 bandage.
Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He also has *MIGHT*, *LUCK* and *FINESSE* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Altar

Almaric approaches the altar with reverence and, with a gloved hand, carefully wipes the detritus from the altar's weathered surface.

Sweeping away the pine needles, several carvings gradually take shape on the top of the altar. The figures of men battling strange and horrific beasts cover the entire stone. In one scene, a warrior is clearly depicted kneeling before a shrine whilst in the act of placing (or removing) a sword from atop a stone altar resembling this one.

[/OOC The images are fairly stylised so no specifics as to creature type or race can really be determined, just the overall theme of good vs. evil.]

Apart from the images, there are no other symbols or pieces of text that give him any clue as to who made, or for what purpose, the glade and altar were created.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Sword and the Altar

Kneeling in front of the altar, Almaric draws his sword and carefully places it on to the surface of the shrine whilst trying to mirror the imagery depicted in the carvings. At first, nothing appears to happen. It is only as he steps back and kneels before the stone blocks, bowing his head, is he aware of something occurring.

Even in the mid-morning light, Almaric detects a brightening around the glade. There is a faint humming sound that lasts only for a few seconds, growing ever louder until finally there is a loud, crackling static zap terminating in a ringing 'sching' - rather like the sound a blade makes as a whetstone passes over its tip...

Finally daring to raise his gaze from the glade floor, Almaric looks up and even from his current eye level view, it is obvious that something 'magical' or at the very least 'supernatural', has occurred. Gaining his feet, Almaric looks down at his sword. It is gleaming as if fresh from the hands of a master sword-maker. If it were not for the fact that the hand grip was the same worn leather that he recalled, Almaric would swear this was a different blade. Gone are the small dings, nicks and scratches that had previously identified it as being a serviceable but well-used sword. Even at a distance, Almaric can feel the diffusing heat radiating from the metal - as if the blackened sooty area surrounding it on the stone surface was not evidence enough that immense energy had been at play here. The steel is now a bright silver-blue that is losing its tinge as it cools.

The silence that descends on the glade is total, marred only by the sound of Almaric's nervous breathing and the slow ticking of heated metal as it cools.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Bright Blade

Approaching the altar, Almaric reaches down and carefully picks up the sword, angling it so the sunlight plays back and forth along the length of the blade, marvelling at the exquisite perfection of the metal and the razor-sharpness of its edge. With fluid motions that are second nature to him, the young hero goes through a series of practice sword manoeuvres, testing the feel and balance of the sword, all the while using the swift passes through the air to help cool the metal. Ending on a final flourish, he notes the blade is now fully silvered, all traces of the blue tinting gone.

Offering up a silent prayer to the unknown God the shrine belongs to, Almaric issues a final sword-salute to the altar and, since the blade is now cool enough, puts the sword back in it's scabbard.

So as to show no disrespect to the shrine, Almaric backs out of the glade through the twin pines and returns once more to the crossroads. From there he proceeds down the closest unexplored path - the southern trail.
------------------------------------------------------------------

The smell of smoke first alerts Almaric to potential danger ahead. A small cabin is outlined beyond the trees farther down the path. Smoke rises from a crooked stone chimney and he can hear raised voices, as if an argument is in full swing. Behind the cottage Almaric can see the forest stream that flows swiftly from east to west. On the opposite side of the stream the strange green fog obscures the forest beyond. The fog is extremely thick and forms a high wall that stretches east to west, just as it did where he found the second canoe. There is a horse tied to a hitching post outside the cabin. Almaric instantly recognises it as Osgar.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The cabin in the woods

A quick look at the cabin from his vantage point on the path reveals that there is a wooden door on the side facing the path and at least one window, on the right hand (or northern) wall.

Almaric quietly removes his backpack and hides it in the forest edge. Using the arguing voices to cover his approach and trying to avoid being seen from the side window, he slowly moves over to the cabin.

[/OOC The cabin's occupants are distracted and not actively guarding so they only have a 10% chance of detecting Almaric's approach. After rolling for each one individually, nothing seems to be amiss.]

Once at the cabin, Almaric attempts to ascertain how many people are present before deciding on his course of action.

The front door is slightly ajar. Listening for a while, he thinks he can hear three distinct voices, still engaged in a heated disagreement about whether or not they should 'report back' or just take their loot and head out. Someone says something about a 'mad mage' and how his plan is just about done, to which another implores them to 'think of all that treasure'. Finally, a more commanding voice tells them to 'quit flappin' their gums and let him think, damn it'.

Without moving around the cabin, Almaric is unaware of any other exits or windows beyond what he can see from the front and right sides. The door has a simple lifting latch, but nothing else visible that could be used to secure it closed from the outside. A whinny from Osgar suggests that he might have caught scent of his owner.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Gang of Three

Sensing that he is outnumbered, Almaric knows he needs some sort of advantage. Slowly moving over to Osgar, trying to keep him calm, he untethers the horse and attempts to lead him back to the trail keeping his hand over Osgar's mouth.

[/OOC Rolling for detection by those in the cabin. Nothing.]

Arriving back at the path, away from sight of the cabin, Almaric loops Osgar's reins over a branch and attaches his pack to the saddle. He notes as he does so that it looks as though his poor mount has not been particularly well cared for - his saddle has been left on for a couple of days now.

Whispering comforting words to his restless steed, Almaric rummages through his pack. Getting out a torch and lighting it, he returns to the cabin door...

[/OOC Again, rolling for detection by those in the cabin. Once more, nothing.]

...and places the torch at the bottom before retreating to the edge of the path...

[/OOC Last chance for them to notice him... Nope. Oblivious. Grrrr... stoopid NPCs!]

...and readies his bow.

The burning torch begins to char the wood at the base of the door and smoke is drifting about.

[/OOC Increase the chance of detection to 25%. Rolling for each inhabitant - still too busy arguing! Huh?!?]

After a minute, the flames are visible to Almaric at the edge of the clearing and a moment of panic sets in as he recalls that if these are the bandits that robbed him, they still might have have his possessions in the cabin that he has just set fire to!

[/OOC There is now only a 25% chance for the occupants to FAIL to notice the smoke coming through the door...]

There is a momentary pause in the sounds coming from the cabin. This is quickly replaced by a series of yells and the door is yanked open. Through the billowing smoke, Almaric can make out the forms of three humanoids within the doorway.

Not wanting to give them too much time to react, Almaric prepares to shoot the first figure even though the smoke is partially obscuring his view.

[/OOC Rolling for surprise - normally since the bandits were unaware of Almaric and he had effectively avoided their detection, I would award surprise to Almaric. However the smoke has obviously alerted them to some form of danger but they are still unaware of who or what is about to happen, Almaric needs them to roll a 1 to 4 on a d6 to achieve surprise. They roll a (6) - and are Ready.]

The three figures emerge through the smoke-filled doorway and look about in angry confusion.

[/OOC Initiatives for Round 1: Almaric (9+1)=10, Bandit #1 (7), Bandit #2 (12) and Bandit #3 (12)]

One of the bandits spots the burning brand and attempts to kick it away and stamp out the flames. Another looks around the clearing and spots Almaric. He issues a cry and points at the young warrior. He then ducks back inside the cabin.

Almaric realises that he has lost the element of surprise but can now clearly see two targets. He elects to shoot at the bandit that is in the doorway since the once stamping on the torch seems distracted.

[/OOC Almaric shoots an arrow at Bandit #3, close range, no modifier. He needs a 9+. He rolls (14)-**(Bandit AC)=HIT
Arrow damage is (1)+DEX mod.(1)+Fighter mod.(1)=3 HP. KILLSHOT
Sadly, Bandit #2 is too far away from Bandit #3 to qualify for a CLEAVING bow-shot]

The bandit collapses to the ground with an arrow sticking out of his chest.

[/OOC Progressing to Round 2: Initiatives are, Almaric (17+1)=18, Bandit #1 (13) and Bandit #2 (1)]

With only one visible target, Almaric shoots at the stomping Bandit...

[/OOC Almaric fires at Bandit #2. He needs a 9+. He rolls, (8)-**(Bandit AC)=MISS]

Only to see his hasty snapshot fly wide.

The first bandit rushes out of the cabin again. He is dressed in chainmail unlike his leather-clad compatriots and is wielding a longsword and shield. He charges at Almaric, yelling angry curses at the bowman.

[/OOC Bandit #1 CHARGES at Almaric. This nets him a bonus to hit but will leave him with an armour penalty until he can act next round. Also, since he is using a sword, he cannot double his damage if he hits.
Bandit #1 rolls (3)+Charging mod.(2)-Almaric's AC(5)=0. MISS]

Almaric rolls to one side as the sword slashes into the area he once occupied.

The bandit stops stomping and with a yelp, dashes back into the cabin.

[/OOC Round 3: Initiatives are, Almaric (8+1)=9, Bandit #1 (19) and Bandit #2 (2)]

The bandit attacking Almaric makes another sword swing...

[/OOC Bandit #1 attacks Almaric, he rolls (8)-Almaric's AC(5)=3. MISS. He recovers from his charge, no AC penalty now.]

Once again, Almaric dodges away from the sword blow.

Dropping his bow, Almaric readies his shield and draws his longsword - which sings clear of its scabbard with a heroic 'sching'. He quickly slashes out at his attacker.

[/OOC Almaric attacks Bandit #1. He needs an 8+. He rolls (14)-**(Bandit AC)=HIT
Damage from sword is (2)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+**=KILLSHOT
There is no other assailant within reach so he cannot make a CLEAVE attack.]

The fine blade parts the chain links of the bandit's mail as if they were cloth, before slashing deeply through his ribs and ending his life. The body topples to the ground just as the last bandit emerges from the cabin, clutching a shield and short sword.

[/OOC Seeing his two companions fall to the young warrior causes the bandit to check his morale with a -2 penalty. He rolls (6)-2=4. FAIL - Fighting Withdrawal]

Licking his lips and furtively glancing around the clearing, at first it looks like the bandit may attempt to make a run for it. Then as he sees that the horse is no longer tied up next to the cabin, all fight seems to drain out of him and he drops his arms by his sides. "Awright mister, you win."

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Gang of Three (aftermath)

Almaric tells the remaining bandit, "Throw your weapons away and sit down on the ground or you'll join your friends in the afterlife."

At first the dejected bandit looks uncertain but seeing the steely look in the young warrior's eyes, he complies and he drops his sword to one side while shaking off his shield to the other. He flops into a cross-legged sitting position with his hands fidgeting on his knees.

Returning to Osgar, Almaric quickly retrieves his rope and throws it to the bandit, "Bind your knees together then turn and lie on your stomach, arms outstretched palms up."

Fumbling with the rope, his hands shaking, the bandit begins to plead. "Please mister, we was desperate like. We needed 'orses ta get away. We 'ad to, 'es nuts 'e is!". Finally managing to get some form of knot tied, the bandit does as he was instructed and lies face down in the dirt, his panicked breathing blowing up little dust clouds as he tries not to think of what might be about to happen.

Almaric approaches the bandit and, placing his knee in the bandit's back, proceeds to tie the bandit's wrists together. "Stay still and you'll not be harmed", warns Almaric. He then proceeds to enter the cabin, putting out the last wisps of smouldering wood fire as he goes. Occasionally looking out the door to make sure the bandit is still where he lift him, Almaric searches the building.

After about ten minutes, Almaric has concluded his search, recovering the last of his missing possessions along with a few other things - among them: 110 gold coins, 85 silver pieces, two amethysts (which he quickly appraises as worth around a hundred gold each, a scroll which he knows contains some form of magic (having seen such things in the past) but the exact content is a total mystery to him, and finally, a potion bottle, clearly labelled in neat script as 'Healing'. There is also the arms and armour of the two dead and the trussed up bandits to consider - 2 suits of leather armour (1 damaged), one split chainmail shirt, 3 light helms, 3 shields, 2 short bows, 2 short swords and a longsword.

Looking down at the gear and the roped bandit, Almaric considers his next move.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Story of The Three

Feeling proud of himself, Almaric bundles all the recovered items into his large sack - the coins and gems go into his belt pouch - and packs it all onto Osgar's saddle.

Returning to the remaining bandit, he sits down so he can see the man's face.

"So what's your name, who is this mad mage that you've been working for and what's his plan?", he asks the bandit. "Answer me truthfully and I'll consider letting you go."

The dishevelled bandit looks at Almaric, a glimmer of hope appearing in his eyes. "Me name's Seb." He points with his chin towards the bandit with the arrow in his chest, a brief, bitter smile touches his lips. "That's me brother, Lew." Turning his head he nods at the fallen chain-clad bandit. "And that be Tocca. It was 'im as got us into this mess. What with all 'is big talk an' fancy ideas."

He pauses while he collects his thoughts. Finally he speaks again, a slight tremor to his voice. "We... me an' Lew, used ta be labourers but a week or so ago, Tocca - 'e was Lew's mate - anyways, Tocca comes up an' says 'e's got this job 'e needs 'elp with. Says 'es workin' for some wizard, a weird foreign-type, all dark-skinned an' all. Goes by tha name o' 'ar-Assad. Anyways, this mage wants ta find somethin' real bad. An' this somethin' is real valuable, so 'e needs a spot o' muscle, just in case like, while 'e 'unts it down."

Seb continues. "Fings was goin' just fine at first, we's just doin' what we always did - lug stuff about fer folks as'n can't or won't do it fer themsel. Then, three days in, an' we come across a lake an' all this green fog. Now that stuff's just plain creepy it is. Kills ya if'n ya breathe it, burns ya if'n ya touch it. Some o' the others found that out tha 'ard way, on orders offa tha mage."

He shuffles a bit, as if to get more comfortable and then goes on with his tale. "We spent a coupla days on a beach at tha waters edge. Made oursells a coupla canoes an' tha Mage 'ad us paddlin' all about tha lake an' tha stream, all tha while 'es examinin' tha damn fog an' makin' notes an' mutterin' to 'imself. We lost a coupla tha lads an' their canoe when it strayed into tha fog. I ain't never 'eard anyone scream like that afore." He shudders as if recalling the sound again. "Damn near pissed down ma leg when I saw what was left o' them. Right 'orrible way ta go."

With a sniffle, the bandit continues. "Anyways, tha next day, we've moved on down stream an' tha mage thinks 'e's finally sussed the fog. Says ya kin't go through it, but ya kin go under it!" A sad shake of his head. "Believe me, no bugger wanted to try that but the wizard was very - insistent. Now 'e comes across all calm an' collected at first, but man, 'e's got a right temper on 'im if'n he gets all arsey. So after a guy 'volunteered' to try an' swim under it, we all sat around an' waited ta see what 'appened, some prayin' fer 'is soul, some of us jus' prayin' we weren't next."

"Jus' when we figure 'es a gonner, 'is 'ead pops up out tha water an' e's all excited an' stuff. Says tha fog ain't that deep an' there's a shoreline not far on tha other side. Well now, don't this give tha wizard a right 'ard on? Straight away 'e's orderin' us all to pack up an' start 'eadin' under tha fog. Some o' tha lads can't swim, so we 'as to tie a rope to 'em an' drag 'em along behind us. Luckily, me, Lew an' Tocca kin swim jus' fine, so we get tha job o' actin' as escort fer thems as can't, an' baggage 'andlers fer some of tha supplies. Took us all a while, but we made it safe to tha other side. That's when things really started to go bad."

Seb seems to be warming to his narrative, he goes on without pause. "So me, Lew an' Tocca, we ain't no fighter-types, not like some o' tha others this mage 'as taggin' along. We git left at tha base camp near tha landing point while tha others is off 'untin' fer whatever it is tha mage is after. Each day we gets ta 'ear stories about stuff this wizard 'as done. Nasty stuff. Stuff that we didn't sign up fer. One o' the lads made a joke that even the dead weren't safe from 'im. Said if'n tha mage thought she 'ad somethin' on 'er that 'e wanted, 'e'd even dig up 'is own granma! That's not funny. That's just wrong. Anyways, while tha others was off doin' whatever they was doin', me an' tha lads," he indicates the two dead bandits, "decided we'd 'ad enough. We wanted out, first chance."

"That came later that day. We was runnin' low on supplies so Tocca suggests ta one o' tha goons that we could get some from an inn we know that's not too far away. Sure enough, 'e runs it past tha wizard as if'n it was all 'is bright idea an' we get the thumbs up. Tocca gets given some cash an' we 'ead off back under tha fog. Soon as we's safe on this side, me an' Lew are all fer peggin' it straight 'ome, sharpish-like. Tocca says we can't. Says if'n we sticks anywhere 'round 'ere, chances are tha mage will find us an' we all know 'e's not gonna be 'appy when 'e does. So Tocca comes up with a plan to get us some 'orses an' supplies so we kin bugger off someplace safe. Trouble is, me an Lew din't find out exactly what 'is 'cunning plan' was until 'e'd knocked ya off ya 'orse. By then we was in over our 'eads, mad-ass wizard who's nuttier than squirrel shit on one side, unconscious but bound ta be pissed off warrior on the other."

He shrugs. "An' that's about it. We 'ad yer 'orse, we 'ad some cash but we needed at least one more 'orse an' we needed more cash to 'elp get away. That's what we was arguin' 'bout. Lew an' me wanted to just git gone since by now tha others was bound to suspect somethin' was up an' possibly come lookin', but Tocca was all about stickin' ta that plan. Fek 'im an' 'is damn plans."

With a gobbet of spittle flung at the body of Tocca, Seb ends his tale.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - A deal is struck

Almaric considers what the bandit has told him. "Interesting tale Seb. You seem to have gotten yourself into trouble through your associates and I'm going to punish you for that. I've got what I came for, so how about I make you a deal?

"If you agree to give me a rough map of what you saw on the other side of the fog, numbers of people following this wizard and any other information you may think of use, I'll release you from the ropes and escort you out of the forest to the main road. At that point I'll give you your weapons back and you'll be free to go wherever you want.

"If you try to double cross me at any time, I'll leave you to the wildlife like that Ogre I saw wandering around a while ago or the wizard if he returns from the fog.

"Well. Do we have a deal Seb?"

Seb's eyes have been getting wider as the warrior explained the situation. Finally, his adam's apple bobbing furiously as he tries to get his nervous-dry throat to work, he croaks out a feeble, "Deal mister."

Almaric unties Seb's wrists and allows him to undo his own legs. As he is doing so, Seb begins to explain what he saw of the other side of the fog and what he knows about the wizard and his followers. Apparently he never ventured beyond the base camp but he heard some of the others talking about some kind of roadway and platforms but he doesn't know exactly where they are or where they go. He shows Almaric on his map where he crossed under the fog wall, which turns out to be the place with the usable canoe although he says they found the boats more trouble than use and most just waded out to the fog before diving under and swimming across. From the landing area, head south and at the junction, head east. That is the base-camp. The southern trail is the one that the wizard and his cronies were exploring. Apart from the mage, Seb says that when he left, there were a total of a dozen guards and some woman who he only ever caught glimpses of because the mage kept her in his tent. What he did see of her suggests she might be some kind of slave or concubine since she was wearing 'next to nothing and what there was weren't decent!' and she was never allowed to roam free.

As Almaric listens to the information, he gets Seb to assist him in stripping the bodies and swapping out gear, etc. Seb refuses to continue until he's been allowed to bury his brother, but Tocca can rot as far as he's concerned. Almaric agrees to his request and finishes his packing and sorting while Seb uses a shield as a make-shift spade to dig a shallow grave and then place a lone rock as a grave marker.

By the time all of the preparations are completed, it is nearing mid-day when they are all done.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Road Back

As he ties one last strap and adjusts a final buckle, Almaric turns to his captive. "Come on Seb, let's get out of here - you first."

Seb drops his head and moves off ahead, past the tethered Osgar who flicks his ears at the bandit's whispered 'Nice 'orsey.' Almaric takes the reins and leads his mount along behind the thief.

Walking along the paths that lead back to the main road, Almaric mulls over what Seb has told him, all the while watching the bushes and listening for possible signs of trouble. The thought of taking down a mad wizard and rescuing a damsel in distress is the reason he travels the roads. He resolves to at least investigate the possibilities when he is uninjured and well equipped.

The trip is uneventful and they eventually reach the main road unmolested. Almaric asks Seb, "Which way are you going to go?"

The man looks momentarily confused. "Ain't I goin' wherever you want me ta go?"

Almaric shakes his head. "No Seb, the deal was you tell me what I needed to know and behave yourself until I say otherwise. Now I'm saying otherwise. You're on your own now, it's up to you to decide your fate from here onwards. If what you've told me is true, then I suspect these parts will not be good for you. You might want to move on and start fresh some place else."

Seb looks at Almaric and then looks all around him for signs that things might not be as they seem. Under the young warriors calm gaze he seems to come to a decision. "Awright. Reckon you 'ave the right of it mister. I always wanted to see a city so's I reckon I'm for Dolmvay." He nods back along the road that brought Almaric to this area in the first place. He turns and is about to head off when Almaric calls his name and the man stops dead in his tracks, his exposed back to the warrior and heart suddenly hammering in his chest. This is it, this is how he's going to finally die...

But there is no sudden blade thrust through his back, instead he hears a noise behind him and then Almaric is by his side. "This should help you get started."

Looking down at what Almaric has in his hands, Seb sees some trail rations and his eyes almost leave his head when he sees the handful of gold coins. He looks at Almaric's face, confusion warring with greed, fear and hope for who gets top billing. Almaric presses the items into Seb's hands and turns back towards Osgar. With an easy action, he quickly mounts the horse and turns away to head in the opposite direction along the road towards the Travelling Man when Seb finally finds his voice. "'Ere mister. What's yer name?"

Glancing over his shoulder, Almaric replies, "My name's Almaric. Stay out of trouble Seb. A man only has so much good fortune." And with a flick of the reins, trots off along the road leaving a stunned ex-bandit in his wake.

[/OOC: Cross off the rations and the gold. Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Back to the Travelling Man

Returning to the Travelling Man, Almaric tethers Osgar outside, off-loads all his loot and goes inside to look for Hugo, who he finds cleaning down the surface of the bar and sorting out flagons. The smell of cooked food is in the air. The innkeeper looks surprised to see the young lad back so soon.

"Greetings Hugo, I was wondering where I can stable my horse and off-load some ex-bandit possessions", he says with a grin, putting all the stuff on a table. "Oh, and I'll have lunch, an ale and one for yourself."

Hugo raises an eyebrow. "Ah, I see. Successful hunting trip then?" Nodding to a corner table, he ducks into the kitchen and says something to Kel. Almaric takes a seat at the indicated table and Hugo returns a moment later with a plate of pork ribs and beans. Setting the dish in front of Almaric he tells him that Kell is seeing to his horse, who will be stabled out back. He then goes behind the bar and fetches up two flagons of ale, giving one to Almaric and setting the other down across from him where he eases himself into the chair.

Whilst stuffing his face, Almaric tells Hugo what occurred and that, when his wounds have healed, he'll be going back to try and rescue the girl. Hugo is not very happy about Seb roaming free but Almaric assures him that he thinks it was the right thing to do, since everyone should be given at least one chance to redeem themselves and possibly put things right in their lives. This seems to strike a chord with Hugo, who glances at the kitchen before nodding his agreement.

"If I leave some items with you, can you sell them for me to any merchants that pass by?", asks Almaric.

"Aye lad, that I can. Dunno how soon I'll be able to sell them or that you'll get the best prices but most folks are usually open for a spot of trade when passing through."

After lunch, Almaric goes to his room and lays out the loot, cleans it up and puts together a bundle for sale. The bundle is comprised of: one split chainmail shirt, two light helm, one shield, two short bows, a short sword, one longsword and the magic scroll. He places the spare shield in the chest in case his gets broken, along with both Amethysts.

Once done, he takes the bundle of goods down to Hugo who inspects it all and says that Kel might be able to fix up the chain shirt, or at least give it a try.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he is down to 6 of his 9 HP. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - In Search of the Wizardn

Almaric rests for the remainder of the day and contemplates what he has uncovered so far and what he is likely to encounter when he sets off into the woods again, this time in search of the wizard and his associates.

[/OOC Gain 615 XP (including 10% bonus)]

The next morning during breakfast, Hugo informs him that the travelling healer arrived last night when Almaric was resting in his room and Hugo haggled on his behalf. He presents Almaric with two healing salves and two healing poultices that he bartered the emerald necklace for.

Almaric spends the remainder of the day resting up.

[/OOC Almaric spends another night at the Travelling Man while he tends to his wounds. He recovers, 2 HP (natural healing) + 3H HP (Healing Proficiency)= 5HP. This leaves him fully healed again.]

Almaric rises early the following morning and assembles his kit. After breakfast, and giving a Osgar a pat and a couple of apples, he fills his waterskin with fresh water, obtains four days worth of food from Hugo - telling him that if he doesn't return, Osgar and the contents of the chest is his room are his and to use whatever he gets from the loot to keep his room.

Feeling confident, Almaric walks out of the inn and, with a merry whistle, sets off down the road. His destination, the cabin in the woods.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The brightening dawn light has chased away the last of the early dew and footmists as Almaric arrives back at the cabin where he encountered Seb and the other two bandits. Everything seems as it was except he notices that there is no sign of Tocca's corpse and it looks as if something has had a tentative dig at Lew's grave.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Wall of Fog

Having checked that nobody else has taken up residence in the cabin, Almaric heads out of the clearing and back north to the crossroads. From there he heads west, following the looping trail down to the wide lake in the south where Seb indicated that they found the water deep enough to swim under the fog. He briefly considers using the canoe but again recalls what Seb said about them sometimes being more trouble than they were worth and as he would be the only one trying to control it, he decides against using it.

Since he doesn't know what he'll encounter on the other side of the barrier of fog but knowing he'll have to swim, Almaric takes off his pack and hides it in the forest edge. Planning on only taking his armour, shield, weapons, healing and strength potions at this time, Almaric wades into the water.

[/OOC His current encumbrance is 7, 2/6 (Armour [5] + Weapons [1, 5/6] + Pouch & Potions [3/6]), which puts his movement back up to 90'/30']

He wades very close to the fog and the lake is still only a little more than four feet deep, the water mid-chest in height. This close to it he can smell a decidedly acidic smell coming from the wall of fog. Turning his head from the smell, Almaric takes a few deepening breaths until he fills his lungs with a final deep breath and dives beneath the surface, under the strange green fog and begins swimming towards what he hopes will be the shore.

Using every second of air his lungs can hold, Almaric swims as hard as he can, but finally he has to surface for air. Coming up he realizes he has made it past the wall of fog. It now lies behind him. The lake’s shoreline is not far off and he can see a path leading from a gravel beach.

Crawling out of the cold water Almaric welcomes the dry land and warm sun. The forest on this side of the fog wall looks much like it did on the other side. There is a quiet that pervades the area. Few birds seem to be about and even the constant chatter of insects is diminished. A path leads away from the lake and into the woods to the south.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Landing Area

After emptying the water out his equipment, Almaric heads off south, following the path until he gets to the fork Seb told him about. After a brief pause, he decides to continue south - all the while listening for the sounds of voices or movement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The smell of charred wood and fire drifts up the path. Just ahead of him, Almaric can see a very old stone tower. It is scorched in many places and smoke rises from its centre. Several corpses lie about the tower and all but one appear to be kobolds. The larger corpse is that of a man dressed in leather armour. A short sword lies near his outstretched arm and an arrow is embedded in his chest. Just to the south of the tower, within fifty yards, is a strange sight. A large hundred-feet wide circular area is inset with stones forming a platform that is no more than six inches above the forest floor. A twenty-feet wide road stretches away eastward from the platform. The road is cobbled with stone and is also set about six inches higher than the ground. No trees overhang the platform, but the road is covered by the long branches of nearby trees. The road follows the contour of the hilly ground and Almaric can only see about 100 yards beyond the platform.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. He still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Burned Tower

Moving into the site of the devastation, Almaric checks each of the bodies to make sure they are all dead. Glancing around the tower, he can see more signs of battle. Blood and broken arrows litter the area. There are a total of eight dead kobolds around the tower. Each kobold has a short sword and short bow. None have any arrows on their person.

Having left the armoured man until last, Almaric searches the body to see if he had anything useful on him.

[/OOC He doesn't!]

Apart from his punctured armour and nearby short sword, the corpse has no possessions at all. When finished, Almaric moves over to the tower to see if there is anyone hurt within it.

A brief search reveals that if there had been anything of interest within the tower, it has since been incinerated. The remains of a staircase leads up to the burnt-out roof. The roof itself must have collapsed and burned where it lay. Here and there Almaric can see shards of glass. Someone may have used oil flasks to burn the tower. The embers and ash at his feet are still very hot and smoke drifts up the tower like a chimney. Other than what he has noted, there is nothing of interest in the tower. As Almaric exits, he is confronted by several kobolds that look extremely angry.

[/OOC Reaction roll from Kobolds. Rolled (4)+Kobold Reaction mod.(-2)+Almaric's CHA mod.(0)=2. Hostile, attacks.]

With a screech, the kobolds leap to attack Almaric, they must blame him for all the carnage.

[/OOC Initiatives for Round 1: Almaric (14+1)=15, Kobold #1 (14), Kobold #2(4) and Kobold #3(14)]

Finding himself suddenly under attack from three diminutive, angry creatures, Almaric opts to attack first and sort things out later if he can. Bringing his shield up to a guard position, he slashes his longsword at one of the Kobolds, just as two of them close in on him.

[/OOC Almaric attacks Kobold #1 with his longsword. He needs a 7+ and rolls (3)-**(Kobold AC)=MISS]

Almaric is dismayed to see his flashing blade fail to connect with any part of the creature, especially when two of them make coordinated attacks back - their small short swords jabbing viciously at him...

[/OOC Kobold #1 and Kobold #3 attack simultaneously. Kobold #1 rolls, (9)-Almaric's AC(7)=2. MISS
Kobold #3 rolls, (14)-Almaric's AC(7)=7. MISS]

Luckily for Almaric their sword skill is as high as they are and he easily avoids their clumsy attacks. However, the remaining Kobold uses the distraction to jump in and try and hamstring the young warrior...

[/OOC Kobold #2 attacks Almaric, rolls (7)-Almaric's AC(7)=0. MISS]

...but fails to connect as Almaric jumps over the slashing sword.

The three Kobolds slowly circle Almaric, all the while making yipping, whining noises.

[/OOC: Almaric is engaged in combat with 3 Kobolds. Everyone is uninjured. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting the Kobolds

[/OOC Initiatives for Round 2: Almaric rolls (3+1)=4, Kobold #1 (1), Kobold #2 (19) and Kobold #3(13)]

This time it is the hamstring-attempting Kobold who attacks first...

[/OOC Kobold #2 attacks Almaric, rolls (19)-Almaric's AC(7)=12. HIT
Damage from short sword, (1)]

It makes a weak strike at Almaric's flank and chops into his side. A very minor wound but still first blood to the Kobolds. This inspires another of the little fiends to lunge in and attempt to stab the human.

[/OOC Kobold #3 attacks Almaric, rolls (1)-Almaric's AC(7)=-6. WILD MISS!]

The creature finds only empty space as Almaric moves to one side in an easy dodge and launches his own attack at the Kobold yet to menace him this round.

[/OOC Almaric attacks Kobold #1. He needs a 7+ and rolls, (18)-**(Kobold AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (4)+Sword mod.(1)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=8. KILLSHOT!]

Taking the small dog-man by surprise, Almaric's longsword lashes out and neatly removes its sword-arm along with a hunk of shoulder. The creature dies with a high-pitched yelp. Almaric continues the momentum of his attack around and directs it at the Kobold who attacked him first this round...

[/OOC Almaric attempts a CLEAVE attack on Kobold #2. He needs a 7+ and rolls, (10)-**(Kobold AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (4)+Sword mod.(1)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=8. DOUBLE-KILLSHOT!]

The sharp blade ends its journey in the side of the Kobold, almost cutting it in half. It too expires with a pained yelp.

[/OOC The remaining Kobold must make a morale check after seeing it's companions die and being the only one left. It rolls (10)+Kobold Morale mod.(-2)=8. Fight On.]

The remaining Kobold growls at Almaric, clearly not inclined to back down.

[/OOC Initiatives for Round 3: Almaric rolls (12+1)=13, Kobold #3 (3)]

Sensing that his foe is unlikely to give up the fight, Almaric feints to one side as he lunges forward with his sword...

[/OOC Almaric attacks with his longsword. He needs a 7+ and rolls, (14)-**(Kobold AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (4)+Sword mod.(1)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)=8. KILLSHOT!]

...which completely fools his opponent who is left wide open to the attack. The sword tip lances into the Kobold's chest and punches out of it's back. Dropping it's sword, the dying creature scrabbles feebly at the protruding blade, whimpering, before falling backwards, sliding off the sword and lying dead against the edge of the stone platform. The subdued sounds of the area return after the frantic noise of combat ends.

[/OOC: Almaric is lightly injured, having taken 1 HP of damage. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting the Kobolds (aftermath)

Almaric retreats back in to the tower and waits, keeping watch for more Kobolds. After a few minutes of nothing untoward happening, he exits the tower and searches the bodies of the freshly-killed kobolds. His search nets him three sets of child-sized leather armour and three similarly sized short swords - none of which look worthy of keeping nor of being usable by him.

When finished, Almaric moves over to the raised circle of stones but is careful to avoid stepping on to it and looks along the road heading east. Even from the edge of the road all that can really be seen is that the road follows the contours of the hilly ground and due to its elevated climb to the next bump, Almaric can only see about a hundred yards beyond the platform, although it would appear that the road travels straight for some considerable distance beyond that.

[/OOC: Almaric is lightly injured. He is on 8 of 9 Hit Points. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Looking for the Base Camp

Stepping away from the stones, Almaric returns back along the path north until he gets to the junction just south of where he came ashore. Heading east, towards what Seb had told him was the Mage's camp area, Almaric tries to keep to the treeline as much as possible, ready to move off the path into concealment as soon as he spots any approaching enemies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The path, only a hundred or so yards from the split, is now barely visible. The only reason Almaric can even follow it, is that the ancient trees to either side give him nowhere else to go. It is a struggle to move forward, but he is quickly adapting to travel in the forest. With a start Almaric hears voices from ahead of him. Cautiously moving forward, he steps off the trail and moves among some trees until he finds the source of the sounds.

An encampment of three tents surrounds a small fire pit. Two of the tents can sleep at least six men and the third tent while larger, looks to be reserved for a singular person of importance. One six-man tent is to the north of the large tent, the other to the south. Three men sit by the fire talking. Each holds a large mug. Almaric can hear one of them clearly.

“Where are those idiots? All they had to do was get some wine from that tavern and get back here. That was days ago. I’m willing to bet they had their fill at the tavern, living it up while we sweated it out here. I'm telling you, they've spent all the coin and are now too scared to come back. The master will surely take it up with them... or more likely, take it out on us!” The other two men nod and grunt in agreement.

[/OOC: Almaric is lightly injured. He is on 8 of 9 Hit Points. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Base Camp

Without knowing if there is anyone in the tents, Almaric settles down into the undergrowth to keep watch and assess the camp.

Having studied the guards for a few minutes from his hiding place, Almaric determines that they have just recently finished a meal and are currently resting at ease. He thinks that he could attempt to sneak around the camp's perimeter and possibly get closer to the three tents but it will by no means be an easy task given that stealth is not his strong suit.

[/GM Note: Yes there is a way Almaric could get up to any of the tents but it will require a set of opposed rolls for the guard's Hear Noise vs. his Move Silently roll.]

Almaric waits a short while but sees no indication that any of the men are sleepy - since it is late morning the chances are they are just lounging around off-duty. If they were going to sleep they would most likely retire to a tent out of the sun. Deciding that it's now or never, he inches out of cover and begins to sneak around to the larger tent, bow at the ready in case he needs to fight, whilst trying to keep as much cover between himself and the guards.

[/OOC Almaric's Move Silently Roll is (18), each guard will need to make a successful Hear Noise roll of 18+ to detect him. **Hidden rolls by the GM]

Managing to make it to the grand tent without any sounds of alarm being raised, Almaric offers up a silent prayer to Viltae, God of the Hunt for aiding his step. However, just as Almaric parts the flaps of the tent, he hears a small commotion from where the guards were. Cursing the fickleness of fate, he makes a snap decision and pushes through the material in the hopes that the tent is unoccupied and that he can remain undetected.

The tent is decorated like something out of a sultan’s palace. Tapestries hang in front of all the outer walls and plush rugs cover the floor. A pile of pillows and blankets form a bed of sorts in the centre of the room. Two small tables are pushed together to form a larger platform. There are two chairs at the table and a massive map is unrolled on the tabletop. A pair of small footlockers rest near the back of the tent. Almaric takes it all in but that is not the focus of his attention. A scantily clad woman, with a bandaged arm and numerous bruises, cowers behind the make-shift bed. She is tethered to the tent’s central pole by a thin chain. She is clearly watching him and waiting for his reaction. The tapestries and tent walls seem to be masking most sound from outside as Almaric has not heard anything else since the initial sounds from the guards. He is unsure as to what is happening outside.

[/OOC: Almaric is lightly injured. He is on 8 of 9 Hit Points. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Inside the Large Tent

Holding up his hand towards the woman, Almaric whispers, "I'm not here to hurt you, I'm not one of them. Please don't give me away and I'll take you away from here as soon as I can."

Her eyes are asking for help. Beyond the tangled hair and battered body, it is clear the woman is indeed beautiful. She notes Almaric's hesitation and she attempts to straighten herself. She tells him that she is a slave to an evil wizard and that he has beaten her badly. The wizard and most of the men have left to steal treasure from a nearby dragon’s horde and they may be back at any time. The key to her tether is in one of the footlockers. She begins to sob and begs for his help.

"My name is Almaric m'lady, what is your name?" he asks in a hushed tone. She says she is called Tar-Gallin.

All the time he has been in the tent, Almaric has been listening for approaching voices and looking for a spot to hide behind a tapestry or some such cover if needed. Neither have presented themselves as of yet.

[/OOC Since the key to the chain is apparently in one of the footlockers, it makes sense to use that rather than risk a lot of noise trying to hack through the metal with 'Goblin Cleaver'.]

"Give me a short while and I'll see about freeing you from that chain", he says before moving through the tent to examine the map on the table and the footlockers. As he passes the woman, she says that the key is in the one to the right. She warns that the footlocker on the left is trapped.

Moving to the tables and the map, Almaric can see that the thing is very old. It does not look like parchment, but some sort of animal skin. The writing is not like any he has seen before. Before Almaric has time to review it in detail, a shadow crosses his back.

In a flash Almaric sees the woman is untethered and holding a dagger. She calls him a fool and attacks...

[/OOC Not quite surprised, Almaric rolls for initiative, but with a -2 penalty: Almaric (14+1-2)=13, Tar-Gallin (20)]

She stabs at her startled, would-be rescuer...

[/OCC Almaric is currently holding his bow, not his shield. Tar-Gallin stabs at Almaric, she rolls (16)-Almaric's AC without shield(5)=11. HIT
Damage from dagger, (2)... luckily Almaric caught wind of the attack just in time and so she is unable to backstab him. She is however, using a poisoned blade, so Almaric must save vs.Poison. He needs a 14+ and rolls (14)+CON mod.(1)=15. SUCCESS]

The blade pierces Almaric's skin and even as the tip comes free of the wound, he is aware of a slight burning sensation that warns him of the presence of poison on the weapon!

Realising that this woman is obviously not who or what she at first appeared to be, Almaric has no choice but to fight for his life and to do so as quickly and quietly as he can lest he should attract the attention of the guards outside. He drops his bow and grabs up his sword and shield. He launches a swift slash towards her unarmoured midriff...

[/OOC Almaric attacks Tar-Gallin. He needs a 7+ and rolls (17)-**(Tar-Gallin's AC)=HIT.
Damage from sword, (5)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+sword mod.(1)=9 HP]

A large gash opens up across her smooth stomach and she gasps in pain and clutches at the wound. "Enough!", she says, "I yield!" She takes a step backwards. "In exchange for my freedom, I will tell all that I know. I swear I will be of no further trouble." She is having a hard time standing upright, the wound to her abdomen clearly bleeding through her blood-stained fingers.

[/OOC: Although technically still in combat, Almaric is classed as un-engaged since Tar-Gallin has ceased to attack any more. Almaric is injured. He is on 6 of 9 Hit Points. Tar-Gallin looks badly injured. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Inside the Large Tent (aftermath)

"Very well assassin, tell me all you know and you'll be free to go. If you even look like you're about to betray me, I'll finish the job I've started and kill you", warns Almaric, pointing his sword at her wound to emphasise the statement. "Now, throw the knife away and start talking."

Dropping the dagger, Tar-Gallin begins to rip what little clothing she is wearing into bandages and attempts to stem the blood-flow on her wound. The woman explains that she is the wizard’s 'partner'. His name is Har-Assad and he has discovered a special map. The wizard has deciphered the inscriptions on the map and learned that it depicts the location of a dead dragon’s lair or grave. It also speaks of a vast hoard and 'magical green flame'. In some circles, the green flame is known as the legendary Eye of the East, a jewel of value beyond all others. It has been lost for centuries, but rumours that it was stolen by a dragon have persisted. After a battle with some kobolds near a tower to the south, she returned to the camp to kill the remaining brigands and meet the wizard to the east, along the road that runs away from the kobold tower. She has poisoned the brigands by the fire and they will be dead in minutes, unless they are dead already. She heard Almaric creeping about outside the tent so she pretended to be a helpless captive until she knew more about who was out there.

Almaric questions Tar-Gallin further about Har-Assad and she curses the wizard's name. She explains he is from the east and he is barbaric and cruel. But he is also devilishly smart and he should not be underestimated or trusted. But for all his evil and intelligence, he is not very successful. From what she has gleaned, Har-Assad is not the most powerful of wizards, far from it. She has seen some displays of his magic, but he depends heavily upon his brigands to do all the heavy and dirty work.

When pressed for more information regarding this 'dragon treasure' that Har-Assad is looking for, the woman seems at a loss on this topic. The wizard has shared little with her and the only information she has overheard was when the wizard bargained with the brigands. She believes the wizard has stumbled upon the lair or grave of a dragon that died many years ago. He used the old map on the tables, but since she cannot read the script, it is of little concern to her. The wizard and six brigands left to loot the hoard only a few hours earlier. It cannot be far off as the wizard said he would be back before nightfall. She scornfully says that Har-Assad is not returning to the camp at all and expects him to be making his escape even as she is speaking, leaving her behind to fend for herself.

Finally, she admits that neither of the footlockers are locked or trapped. Her storytelling and bandaging finished, she regards Almaric with intent, clearly unsure as to what his reaction will be.

[/OOC: Combat has now ended. Almaric is injured. He is on 6 of 9 Hit Points. Tar-Gallin looks injured. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Honouring his word

Pursing his lips as he ponders all the woman has told him, Almaric finally speaks.

"Alright Tar-Gallin, I'm a man of my word, you're free to go. I don't kill people without reason, so don't give me a reason. I came here to rescue someone that I thought needed my help. I suggest you run from here and keep running.

"Take your dagger, you'll need it, and a couple of those blankets. If you have any other clothes I suggest you change before you leave."

The woman looks slightly startled at his decision but does not waste any time trying to second-guess the young warrior. Instead she snatches up her fallen dagger, which elicits a hiss of pain from her, and then almost as a second thought, snatches a cover from the bed and wraps it around her shoulders before heading to the tent flap. After a quick peep outside, she pushes through the flap.

Almaric was about to skirt around her towards the tent flap, but seeing the woman waste no time in her departure, he waits to see what transpires as she exits the tent, all the while his sword and shield are readied in case of treachery.

Since Tar-Gallin has left and there is no outcry from the guards, Almaric rushes to the exit and peers outside to see if the brigands are indeed dead. It would seem as though that at least was a truth, for the bodies of the guards lie in disarray around the area where they had not long been relaxing and eating. Almaric catches a brief flash of colour as the draped form of the thief vanishes into the shadowed pathway heading out of the camp.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured. He is on 6 of 9 Hit Points. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Base Camp (aftermath)

Almaric wastes no time in returning to the footlockers and after a quick double-check, opens both with his shield up in case anything goes off - never trust a wizard or an assassin.

Upon opening the right footlocker, Almaric can see that it contains some clothing and personal items, nothing of any immediate value or note. He does, however, find a pouch containing thirty four platinum pieces and four bloodstone gems.

Inside the left footlocker Almaric finds clothing for a woman - Tar-Gallin obviously valued her freedom more than any of her possessions. A leather item he initially thought was a small book, are actually thieves’ pick tools. A pouch holds twenty four gold coins, a silver necklace and a silver ring inset with an opal. He notices some items dumped behind the footlocker including bloodied leather armour, a short sword, and a pouch that contains a small empty vial of some kind.

After searching the footlockers, Almaric moves to the tables and the map, he can see that the thing is very old. It does not look like parchment, but some sort of animal skin. The writing is not like any he has seen before. Most of the map displays the forest, but it somehow seems different. However, the main landmarks are there including the stream and two lakes. The strange writing appears in many places, but one passage appears to point to a location, close to his current position, along a roadway just to the south-east. Almaric knows the map has some value and a sage will surely pay gold for it.

Rolling up the large skin, he looks for something that he can store it in and quickly slips the cover off one of the cushions to fashion a makeshift sack. He quickly places all of his looted items inside.

Now that the large tent has been searched, Almaric goes outside and sets about the other two tents and the pockets of the three brigands.

Inside the north tent Almaric finds six bedrolls and some other personal camp items. After a thorough inspection, he does not find anything of interest.

Within the south tent are another six bedrolls and some more personal items. At first glance a single bandit appears to be sleeping but on closer inspection, Almaric realises that he is dead. He obviously died in his sleep, his short sword lies untouched in its scabbard by his side.

A search of all the dead bandits uncovers a total of forty-four gold coins on their bodies. Aside from their armour and weapons, they have nothing else of interest. Thinking of weapons, a cunning thought goes through Almaric's mind and a sly grin appears on his face.

Leaving the camp, he returns to the fork to the west and hides all his loot. Running back to the burned-out tower, he grabs a dead Kobold and carries it back to the tents - making sure the camp is still deserted before entering. He dumps the Kobold near to the brigands bodies and puts a brigand sword in its corpse.

Going over to a tent, he cuts a piece of material big enough to wrap the map in, hoping that it will protect it from the swim he'll soon have to make.

As soon a he's ready, he takes a burning brand from the fire and sets fire to all three tents, making sure the flames are well established before he leaves.

Almaric then runs back to the water, collecting his loot on the way and wrapping the map up in the tent material before plunging into the water and swimming back under the fog to, what he hopes is, safety.

Once again the slight moment of panic as his lungs feel like bursting but then he breaks the surface beyond the fog and into clear air.

Wading ashore, he recovers his backpack and drops onto the ground with his pack and makeshift swag bags in his lap. Glancing back across the water he can just make out the faintest of wisps of black smoke rising above the fog wall from the vicinity of the wizard's base camp.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured. He is on 6 of 9 Hit Points. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Homeward Bound

After catching his breath, Almaric sorts through his equipment and checks over the other items he acquired from the campsite. After noting that nothing appears missing or damaged, he repacks his kit and sets off back for the Travelling Man, mindful that Tar-Gallin could still be hiding somewhere close by.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not long after passing through the first crossroads and on the way to the next, Almaric is suddenly confronted with a burst of activity from the bushy undergrowth he is just passing.

[/OOC Surprise rolls: Almaric (3), Boar (6). Neither is surprised. Reaction roll for Boar (11), Indifferent/Uncertain]

He finds himself in the presence of a boar that is clearly a little unsure as to what to make of Almaric, but showing no signs of immediate violence. The animal snuffles at him and then at the ground around it. The beast is big, although not overly so, and would make some excellent eating if he were inclined to try his luck. However, he is currently not in any danger so he may want to just leave things alone for now...

[/OOC: You are not currently engaged in combat. You have gained: Thieves Tools, 34pp, 68gp, Silver Necklace, Silver Ring with Opal inset, 4 bloodstones and a 'Skin Map'. Almaric is injured. He is on 6 of 9 Hit Points. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Bored Boar

Slowly backing away from the boar, Almaric considers taking the creature on. However, since he is injured, he will have to be careful.

Setting his pack down, Almaric looks for a tree to climb, that will allow him to shoot the boar without it being able to get to him. However, as he is scanning for a suitable tree, the boar takes the decision out of his hands and with a snorting grunt, moves off across the path and into the thick undergrowth, quickly vanishing from sight.

Not quite sure if he is disappointed or relieved, Almaric picks up his pack and resumes his journey back to the Travelling Man. This time nothing interrupts his travels and he is back in the inn before the afternoon is done.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured. He is on 6 of 9 Hit Points. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Back at the Travelling Man

Once back at the inn, Almaric unloads his loot into the chest and puts the skin map out to dry.

Going down for an evening meal, Almaric talks to Hugo and asks about Sages in the area and does he have any parchments he could have. Hugo informs him that they get an occasional Sage travelling through once in a while but that there are none living anywhere in the near vicinity. Since Sages tend to have speciality areas of interest, the chances of one such travelling scholar having an interest in maps would be very slim indeed. Hugo suggests that the capital city, Dolmvay, might be his only real chance to find such a person since it has a renowned mapmaker named Dyson and the famous Houses of Learning. The city lies almost a week in the wrong direction. Hugo is however, able to provide Almaric with an inkpot, quill and sheet of parchment.

Almaric then spends the rest of the evening copying the map onto parchment. Although he has basic map-making skills, Almaric cannot read any of the annotations that are on the map so the topography may be more or less accurate but the writing is going to be problematic since it is not made up of regular letters but rather a strange mixture of symbols, shapes and stylised letters. He does his best and produces something that he thinks he could follow, given his understanding of the woodlands he has been exploring.

Knowing that whatever else he decides to do, he will need to be healthy. To that end, he elects to spend a full day resting and tending his wounds.

[/OOC Almaric heals for (2+1)=3 HP]

Over the course of his resting at the inn, Almaric goes over what he has learned and experienced so far. He knows that Har-Assad is searching for some kind of dragon treasure containing a famous green gem. He also knows that according to what Tar-Gallin told him, backed up by what he learned from Seb and could decipher from the map, the mage was on the verge of finding it, assuming he has not already done so in the time that Almaric has had to recuperate. Even without being able to read the writing on the map, Almaric thinks he could probably follow the wizard's progress.

[/OOC Almaric earns 844XP (including bonus, but NOT using the Automatic Success bonus card) - this gives him a total of 2,673XP and he is now a 2nd level Fighter. His Saves and Attack Throw have changed and he has gained more Hit Points (+1d8)]

Two days after arriving back at the inn, Almaric awakes feeling fully healed and filled with a new-found vigour. The thought of further adventure adding a slight spring to his step.

[/OOC: Give me a HP roll for your new level (1d8). Almaric is uninjured and has gained a level of experience. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - In search of the Wizard, again

[/OOC A HP gain roll of (1)... OUCH! At least it gets doubled by his CON bonus!]

Feeling confident, Almaric packs his gear and decides to go back to see if he can find the Dragon's treasure, or at least take care of some more brigands and possibly a brutal Wizard.

After bidding Hugo and Osgar farewell, the latter with a couple of apples, Almaric walks back to the forest.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Before going to the lake, he decides to travel a path he missed on the last two occasions. This time he continues on southwards at the second set of crossroads.

The path takes a big loop east before continuing south again. Almaric hears the gurgling sounds of the stream not far up the path. But of more interest is the collapsed form of a cottage that comes into view. The ruins are clearly very old and weather-worn. The roof has collapsed and what little stonework remains upright looks very unsteady. This pitiful collection of rubble gave up all pretence of being a building long ago. It's stone husk has been picked clean by whatever passes for intelligent scavengers in these parts.

Moving around the cottage and making sure to stay concealed in the forest, Almaric can see the stream runs directly behind the building. The cottage appears in total ruin and no movement is evident inside its walls. On the south side of the stream, the heavy green fog forms the same familiar twenty feet high wall running east and west as far as he can see. The fog does not seem to move at all, it's almost as if it has been there for ages. Almaric notices birds avoid entering the fog as they flutter from tree to tree.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Collapsed Cottage

Almaric readies his sword and shield, not trusting that the ruins are empty. Picking up a stone, he throws it in amongst the ruins to see if it will gain a response.

With the exception of dislodging a little more unsafe stonework, the missile has little effect. Moving forward, Almaric examines the ruins for anything that scavengers may have missed, including perhaps a trapdoor to a cellar.

A brief search of the collapsed interior confirms that the building is a total ruin, although by the looks of it, the last of the damage was caused only a day or so ago. Whilst scanning the dirt floor for any signs of a trapdoor or hidden cache, Almaric discovers a few boot prints. Some appear human-sized but one set in particular gets his attention - they are almost fifteen inches long and seem to have been made by boots that have had the front cut off to accommodate the big, gnarly toes that clearly poke out the end. Even though he is not a tracker, Almaric thinks it a safe bet that these belong to that Ogre he saw a while back. Other than the tracks, the ruins are bare and empty.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. Almaric still has *MIGHT*, *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Once more unto the beach...

Leaving the ruins, Almaric heads back up to the crossroads and then west to the final crossway where he continues on west and south down to the abandoned canoe by the lake.

This time, making sure his pack is well fastened, he wades into the water and dives down just before getting to the fog wall.

Upon surfacing, he takes a look around to see if there are any signs of the Wizard or his hirelings before wading ashore. Seeing none, he emerges from the lake and begins tipping the water out of his belongings on the shoreline. Once done, he heads off south to the burned-out tower near the cobbled path and platform. All of the bodies, kobold and human, are absent. There is no sign of any graves but there is evidence that the tower has been re-ransacked. Not wishing to waste any more time on the ruins, Almaric steps on to the road and strikes out east.

The road rises and falls with the topography and twists and turns just enough that Almaric can never see more than a hundred yards to his front. Massive trees, gnarled by hundreds of years of growth flank the road and restrict his vision. The forest seems more ancient here and something dark and sinister claws at his mind. He feels as though he does not belong here, but his curiosity is winning the battle over fear. Coming around a particularly sharp turn, Almaric sees six men in what appears to be a heated argument. The men notice his approach and weapons are drawn in a flash. Five of the men carry swords and armour. The sixth man, clearly from the east, wears colourful red and purple robes. The largest of the bandits slashes at the wizard, but his strike only cuts the wizard’s robes. The wizard runs eastward, while the brigands turn their attention to Almaric. They charge.

[/OOC No surprise as both sides saw each other at roughly the same time. Initiatives for Round 1: Almaric (17+1)=18, Bandit #1 (8), Bandit #2 (16), Bandit #3 (7), Bandit #4 (13) and Bandit #5 (6)]

Almaric thinks about shooting at the fleeing Wizard but that would leave him without his shield and amongst five thugs. Instead he opts to move up and engage the bandits using his sword and shield.

[/OOC Almaric attempts to hit Bandit #2 (the closest). He needs a 6+ and rolls, (16)-**(Bandit AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (4)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+Sword mod.(1)=8 HP. KILLSHOT]

Moving quickly up to the lead villain, Almaric's head to hip slash leaves the man sprawling on the road as he deftly spins around and into the man behind...

[/OOC Almaric attempts a CLEAVE attack on the next bandit (#4). Again, he needs a 6+ and rolls, (17)-**(Bandit AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (4)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+Sword mod.(1)=8 HP. DOUBLE-KILLSHOT!!]

...who falls under a ferocious follow-through blow. Almaric takes one final step forward and lunges at a chain-clad bandit...

[/OOC Since Almaric has gained a level, he can make up to two CLEAVE attack attempts each round. This one is directed at Bandit #1. Yet again, he needs a 6+ and rolls, (12)-**(Bandit AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (1)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+Sword mod.(1)+*MIGHT* bonus card(1)=6 HP. TRIPLE-KILLSHOT!!!]

...who runs himself fully on to the extended blade, eyes wide with shock. The dead bandit slips to the ground just as the remnants of his crew gather their wits.

[/OOC Having seen over half of their number die in a single round, the bandits must make a morale check at -2. They roll (8)-2=6... Fight on!]

The leather armoured Bandit stabs at Almaric with his shortsword...

[/OOC Bandit #3 attacks Almaric. He rolls, (19)-Almaric's AC(7)=12. HIT
Damage from short sword, (4+1)=5 HP]

Caught momentarily off-guard, Almaric takes a deep cut to his right shoulder. The mailed Bandit sees this as a possible chance to rid themselves of this dangerous foe and slashes his longsword at Almaric...

[/OOC Bandit #5 attacks Almaric. He rolls, (13)-Almaric's AC(7)=6. MISS]

...but this time the young warrior is ready and easily blocks the blow.

Almaric and the two remaining bandits square off against each other. The Wizard vanishes over a rise along the road.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he has lost 5 of his 11 HP. Almaric has used his *MIGHT* bonus, but still has *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting the Road Brigands (round 2)

Fighting on, Almaric ignores the pain from his wound and throws everything into his attacks against the last two brigands.

[/OOC Initiatives for Round 2: Almaric (11+1)=12, Bandit #3 (10), and Bandit #5 (10)]

The two bandits act almost as one, but our hero's blade is the fastest off the mark.

[/OOC Almaric attempts to hit Bandit #3. He needs a 6+ and rolls, (9)-**(Bandit AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (5)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+Sword mod.(1)=9 HP. KILLSHOT]

Almaric's sword-tip leaves a crimson spurting gash across the neck of the leather-clad bandit as he grabs in futility at his ruined throat. With a quick roll of his wrist, Almaric send the reverse stroke whistling at his remaining enemy...

[/OOC Almaric attempts a CLEAVE attack on the last bandit (#5). Again, he needs a 6+ and rolls, (14)-**(Bandit AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword, (8)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+Sword mod.(1)=12 HP. MAX-DAMAGE DOUBLE-KILLSHOT!!]

...who foolishly weaved when he should have bobbed. The razor sharp edge of Almaric's longsword removes the upper third of his head and ends his pitiful existence.

As the final body falls to the ground, Almaric finally takes a breath and is rewarded with a deep stabbing pain from his wound.

[/OOC: Almaric is injured, he has lost 5 of his 11 HP. Almaric has used his *MIGHT* bonus, but still has *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Fighting the Road Brigands (aftermath)

Quickly rummaging in his pack, Almaric takes out a healing salve and smears on half the pot and then bandages his wound.

[/OOC The dose of Healing Salve heals back (1) HP and the application of First Aid takes care of another (4) HP. Almaric is fully healed again.]

After ministering to his wound, he discovers that things were not as bad as he first thought and between the numbing effect of the salve and the tight bandage, it is almost as if he had not been injured at all.

A quick search of the five bodies nets him a pouch of gold and silver coins. Without taking the time to count them, he pockets the coins and then Almaric takes off east after the escaped Wizard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The road makes another turn, but this time it levels out and straightens. About fifty yards ahead, the road approaches a platform nearly identical to the one at the start. At the centre of the circular platform is a bowl-shaped fountain that is easily twenty feet in diameter. A statue of a dragon is in the middle of the fountain and it faces the sky. A steady stream of green smoke – not unlike the green fog – erupts from its open maw. The statue faces away from Almaric and slightly upward. Not very far up the road the green smoke forms a low cloud, just above the treetops, that blocks the sky as far as he can see. It is like a blanket covering everything to the east, only the road continues onwards to the east, clear beneath the canopy of fog

The fountain and statue are made of some sort of green stone, most likely a form of granite or marble. Standing next to the fountain is the eastern wizard. He seems preoccupied with something in the bowl of the fountain. With an uncanny deliberateness he turns to face Almaric. “It is time for us to work together,” says the wizard.

[/OOC: You have gained: a pouch of gold and silver coins. You have lost/used: a dose of Healing Salve and a bandage. Almaric is uninjured. Almaric has used his *MIGHT* bonus, but still has *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Wizard behind the green curtain (of fog)

Knowing what little he does of the man, already Almaric does not trust him and is ready to kill him without a second thought. With his hand resting on the pommel of his sword, Almaric asks, "What is it you want of me Har-Assad, that your late cohorts could not provide? And why should I trust you in the first place?"

“You seem like a perfectly reasonable and intelligent young man,” begins the wizard with a bow. “My name is indeed Har-Assad, and I am from a place called Gehedad.”

Almaric's mind races to digest the name, Gehedad. He has heard that name, but only in dark stories. It is the old name of the city of Southport - an arcane city of black magic and sinister men, now fallen, like so much of the continent of Herth, under the control of Emperor Xanne. Of the remaining cities of The Great Desert, it is the furthest south, at the edge of its continent. Almaric knows it is an evil place, full of evil men.

“I see you know the name. Do not fear adventurer, the dark reputation of the city and its citizens is vastly exaggerated, I assure you. When I was yet a young apprentice I came upon a map, a map lost and forgotten in one of the lost libraries within the Acaeum.”

The Acaeum – that name stirs more dire memories. It is the formal name of the Citadel of Lost Knowledge. Before the cataclysm that engulfed The Great Desert, it was the legendary gathering place of sages, wizards, and priests. It was the depository of the knowledge of the Baladi people, located deep in the heart of their lands. As the cataclysm engulfed the region and its peoples fled the continent, the gates of the Acaeum were closed. It is said that none have entered its chambers and vaults in more than a hundred years. Even the dark, nomadic desert people of the Baladi rebels fear what stirs within the citadel. Now Har-Assad claims to have entered the Acaeum and lived to tell the tale?

“Again, you know of the Acaeum. Whatever you think you know, it is nothing compared to the secrets and darkness that stirs within that black citadel. The young fool that I was then was lucky to have survived the endeavour.

"But survive I did and with a map that I thought useless. It was only years later that I truly discovered what I had found. The map is a guide to the grave of a great dragon and its treasure hoard. The hoard is protected by a wall of death. Yes, the green fog. No living thing can penetrate it. Yet no wall is perfect, as you and I have discovered." Turning to the statue and bowl beside him, he gestures at it.

"This fountain is inspiring, is it not? Somehow the water in the bowl is converted into the death fog. I can only assume it is fed by an underground stream. But I care not for that curiosity. Come and look into the water and see the treasure of the dragon.”

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. Almaric has *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - The Dragon Treasure

"You still haven't told me what you want of me, and please forgive me if I don't put my head near the killer fog generator. You're a Wizard, can't you use your magic to stop it?", Almaric asks.

"There is no need to stop it, we are safely beyond its danger here", says the wizard. "The fog is meant to keep intruders out, not harm or hamper those beyond it. Behold! This is the treasure of the dragon, lying here within the water bowl of the dragon statue," exclaims Har-Assad. "It is ours for the taking. There are more gems here than you or I could carry or hope to use in a thousand lifetimes. I propose we simply take what we please and be on our way. I am a fair man and I have waited long to find this treasure. My treacherous comrades have betrayed me out of greed and avarice. They have attacked you without regard and for that I must share some responsibility. Therefore, as a means of apology, you may select first. Take what you will and be on your way with my best wishes for a long and healthy life." With that, Har-Assad indicates to the stone bowl while stepping to one side to allow Almaric to come forward and take his place next to it.

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. Almaric has *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

SpankyTaz
SpankyTaz's picture
Patreon SupporterSinister Stone of Sakkara BackerLairs And Encounters BackerBarbarian Conquerors of Kanahu BackerACKS Heroic Fantasy Handbook Backer
Joined: 2013-12-14 17:43

Almaric's Tale - Rejecting the Wizard's offer

The wizard’s offer is tempting and seemingly honest. But something about his demeanour triggers suspicion. Almaric declines his generous offer. "Tell you what, this is your great find so you can have the first pick of the treasure - I insist." He must imagine me a fool, Almaric thinks to himself.

Almaric regards the wizard with a smile but stands ready to gut the man if he makes a move to attack or cast magic.

"That is most generous", responds the wizard with a wry smile. "But I see the charade is nearing its end." In a flash the wizard pulls a jar from his robes.

[/OOC No surprise as both have been expecting some form of trouble from each other. Initiatives for Round 1: Almaric (4+1)=5, Har-Assad (15)]

The jar is filled with what looks to be water. "I took this water from the fountain before your intrusion, dog. Now taste what you have declined." With that, Har-Assad hurls the jar towards Almaric.

[/OOC Har-Assad throws the jar (treated as a flask of oil for combat purposes) at Almaric. He rolls, (14)-Almaric's AC(7)=7. MISS
However, the jar breaks on the ground and Almaric is splashed with the liquid, which immediately begins to blister his skin. He takes (1) HP of damage. Note, there was no save against this damage!]

The jar lands at the young fighter's feet and even as he jumps back from the shattering glass, clear liquid splashes onto a small part of his exposed skin. Immediately Almaric feels the burning sensation of acid eating into his flesh.

[/OOC At this point Almaric needs to make a Save vs. Spells. His target is 16+, he rolls (16). SUCCESS]

As the pain of the acid ebbs, Almaric suddenly realises the jar did not come from the direction of the wizard. Almost in disbelief, the image of the wizard flashes and disappears. It was an illusion! A slight movement catches his eye and he sees the wizard on the opposite side of the fountain. A devious smile crosses the caster's face.

"Ah, you have seen through the veil of my illusion. It matters not. You shall fall at my feet, dog!"

No sooner has the exclamation left the wizard's lips than Almaric rushes around the fountain to attack, his sword a blur as it slashes at the robed magician...

[/OOC Almaric attacks Har-Assad with his longsword. He needs a 6+ and rolls, (15)-**(Har-Assad's AC)=HIT
Damage from longsword is (4)+STR mod.(2)+Fighter mod.(1)+Sword mod.(1)=8 HP]

The keen blade slices easily through the silks covering his foe and Almaric is rewarded with the sight of blood, welling up in the fabric.

With a hiss, the wizard manoeuvres cautiously around the swordsman, all pretence of casual banter gone. Now he truly looks mad...

[/OOC: Almaric is uninjured. Almaric has *LUCK*, *FINESSE* and *AUTOMATIC SUCCESS* bonuses available for use at any time.]

Pages