The Demographics of Heroism
Jul 05, 2011 02:39 PM
Once I figured out the wage rate of a peasant and the value of an acre of land, that put ACKS on solid economic footing. From there I was able to extrapolate the income of a wide variety of professions, as well as the income of various levels of lords and nobles. Since the classical "gold for XP" mechanic drives the advancement of characters, the wealth of the society in turn told us how many characters of various levels could exist in the setting. Here, then, are the demographics of heroism...
- 0th: Most able-bodied humans
- 1st: 1 in 12 - The best in an extended family
- 2nd: 1 in 40 - The best in an estate or hamlet
- 3rd: 1 in 100 - The best in a tiny barony or village
- 4th: 1 in 200 - The best in a small barony or large village
- 5th: 1 in 500 - The best in a barony or large village
- 6th: 1 in 2,000 - The best in a march or town
- 7th: 1 in 6,000 - The best in a county
- 8th: 1 in 10,000 - The best in county
- 9th: 1 in 30,000- The best in a small duchy or big city
- 10th: 1 in 100,000 - The best in a duchy
- 11th: 1 in 500,000 - The best in a principality
- 12th: 1 in 1 million - The best in a small kingdom or large principality
- 13th: 1 in 2,500,000 - The best in a kingdom
- 14th: 1 in 7,750,000 - The best in an empire
- Bilbo, most famous adventurer in the shire, was a 6th level Thief.
- The Castellan of the Keep on the Borderlands, lord of a march, was a 6th level Fighter.
- Sir Tristan, the best knight from the county of Cornwall, was a 7th level Fighter.
- Robin Hood, hero of Nottingham County, was an 8th level Explorer.
- Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, the best thieves in Lankhmar, are a 9th level Explorer and 9th level Thief.
- Sir Gawain, the best knight from the principality of Orkney, was an 11th level Fighter.
- Beowulf, who arrives to deal with the threat to the small kingdom of the Geats, was a 12th level Fighter.
- Lancelot and Roland, the best in all of Dark Ages England and France respectively, were 12th level Fighters.
- Merlin, the best magician in all of England, was a 12th level Mage.
- Conan, conqueror of the kingdom of Aquilonia, was a 13th level Fighter.
- Thoth-Amon, most powerful sorcerer-priest in Stygia, was a 13th level Chaotic Cleric.
- Achilles, the best warrior on either side of the largest war of Antiquity, was a 14th level Fighter.
- Elric, most powerful sorcerer of the vast Melnibonean Empire, was a 14th level Spellsword.
Active forum topics
If you are a Kickstarter backer who wants to upgrade your reward or cover international shipping, or a generous fan who wants to help support our next projects!